Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Get involved!

   I just attended a community meeting with my husband tonight.  Minutes before that meeting, I attended a PTO meeting (Parent Teacher Organization).  In both meetings, I was shocked and appalled at the lack of support that was shown in my little community. This ignited my new soapbox.  I am tired of hearing that people don’t like the school programs and curriculum's; you don’t get to complain, you didn’t voice your opinion in the proper forum. I am tired of hearing political disputes; you didn’t vote. I am tired of hearing that you don’t agree with the school boards decisions; you didn’t go to the meeting.

   Don’t get me wrong, being involved takes time and energy. I know that it is out of many people’s comfort zones, but I also know that your opinion matters.  I am loaded with opinions; always have been, always will be.  In no way am I telling you what your opinions or beliefs should be.  The world would be a boring place if you all believed exactly like me. But how am I to understand your point of view if you don’t come to the right forums to express those beliefs.

   The school that my daughter attends has over 600 kids in the school. The PTO meeting that I attended tonight was attended by a whole of 3 parents.  The agenda of the meeting was on the security, or lack thereof. You cannot tell me that only 3 parents out of all of the parents have opinions on this matter, but I will tell you that 3 were the only ones that weighed in and made decisions. 

   In my opinion, the lack of participation in my little community is in direct correlation with the amount of selfishness.  No, it doesn’t look like that in your mirror. It looks like you are busy… but busy with things that will affect you, but few others.
Next time you start to complain about ANYTHING, think to yourself, have I done or am I willing to do something to change the outcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment